Saturday 12 March 2005

March 12, 2005 The Dark Side

Last night while goodness slept, there was a disturbance in the dark side...

Like a scene from a bad Tarzan movie, Willow fell silent, only the sound of the melting snow could be heard dripping from the roof. Then as the first demon seed hit the ground, all the kennels within earshot erupted in unison with mournful howls knowing that the world would never be the same again. As I approached the whelping pen, ravens circled above, knowing that the air was the only safe place to be. I lifted the roof of the doghouse off exposing a cozy little nest with only Olena inside and the familiar sound of nursing pups. I slowly stuck my hand in the house afraid that I might end up with a right hand like Martin Buser. I pushed back Olena’s head to reveal 5 little wiggly worms, 3 boys and 2 girls, all grey and white. May God have mercy on our souls.

On a lighter note, Gus is looking much better. He didn’t need all his painkillers, so I’ve been slipping them into my beer, it’s the only way to even come close to giving American beer the same kick as Canadian beer.

I haven’t heard from the prison yet, it takes a little longer to get a dog home from Ophir than McGrath.
If everything goes okay we shouldn’t hear from Karen until Unalakleet. It looks like she hooked up with Judy Currier in Iditarod. It would be nice for her to have some company for part of the race.

It rained here for part of the day yesterday, the high was 42F and it was very windy. We lost a lot of snow and what’s left is pretty rotten. No one is running dogs around here.

Later,
Mark

No comments: