Friday 7 December 2012

Swing and a Miss...Swing and a Hit...

SWING AND A MISS....

For my run today I decided to try Crackle in lead for the first time. Her sister Snap had done a nice job up front a few weeks back, so why not the Crack Baby??

She did a REALLY nice job holding the gangline tight while we hooked up and was super enthusiastic to get moving...



...and get moving we quickly did!!! Unfortunately, things soon fell apart. Within the first 1/4 mile Crackle started to get distracted by the girls behind her. I slowed everyone down to give her time to 'find her feet' but it quickly became apparent that today was not 'the day' for Crack.

No worries. I long ago figured out that every dog comes into themselves as a leader at different times. I've told the story of Spud and Buddy many times. Littermate brothers, they were both brilliant and valuable leaders to me. I'd be hard pressed today to tell you which one was the more 'valuable' leader, as they both led me down the trail for many, many miles, including my first Iditarod.
However, they both became leaders in their own time. Buddy led home on his first run at 8 months of age.
I religiously put Spud in lead once a year for about 4 years and we chased squirrels, horses, and anything else in the woods that moved. Then one night on a race I was 'out' of dogs that wanted to lead and put Spud up front - just to see. He led us to that finish line of that race and many races after. 

Crackle's day may not be today, but it will likely come - or maybe not - nothing wrong with being a good strong team dog either!!!

As I was walking up the line to replace Crackle, I shopped for someone to replace her. Young Molly looked at me and I thought, "Why not???".

SWING AND A HIT...........



Look at that girl go....




She's young and had a few moments doubting her own ability, but confidence will come in time. She actually led past loose dogs, horses and cows!!!! Love seeing young dogs being that 'responsible'!!!!



Molly and See


I'm batting 500 today - and I'm more than okay with that!!!


1 comment:

Shirly said...

I find it amazing your patience with leaders. Once I took my husbands team out as he was not training them. Hugh mistake ten miles out in nowhere the sled flipped and he drug me till I thought I could not hold on anymore but six loose dogs in no where kept me yelling stop only he didn,t and finally the wheele dogs stopped and literally held him till I could right the sled to get to one of my quick release loops. Never again. I was bruised for weeks all over. I will never forget that experience but you can hold yours better. I never owned a atv in those days or ever and I can see where it makes a hugh differnce.