Sunday 9 March 2003

March 9, 2003


It's been a slow couple of days around here at Howling Dog Farms, the home of Earl & Natalie Norris. Yesterday, I went over to Maureen Chrysler's new place and installed a ceiling fan in her garage. We stayed with Maureen in 1999 and 2000. Back then she used to live about a half mile South of Natalie, now she has a new place about a mile away. 

Today it was off to the Hiland Mountain Correctional Center to pick up Nik and Kaylinn. This place is a real prison with 14 foot fences topped with razor wire and armed guards that have to buzz you in and out of gates. I took two pictures before I asked if I could, they said no but didn't do anything about it. Both dogs are a little stiff, but nothing a little time won't cure. There is one more dog on the way, I don't know who it is, I should find out tomorrow.

Out here in Willow its been very nice and sunny with temperatures hovering around 0ºC (32ºF) during the day and dipping down to -15ºC (2ºF) at night. In Wasilla it has been very windy. The Matanuska glacier is on the other side of Wasilla on the way to Glenallen and the wind comes off of it and blows through the valley out to the ocean, and Wasilla just happens to be in the way.

When it comes to Karen's schedule, I'm just as in the dark as you. The schedule that she gave me at the starting line (which is at least the sixth one she made) has been trashed because of never-ending changes in the trail. Believe it or not, Karen makes a run/rest schedule in September for the race. This schedule is needed so that we have an idea of what we need to start buying for the food drop bags. As long as she moving forward, I'm happy.

Later
Mark

No comments: