Thursday 4 August 2011

What Are You Doing March 3rd???

Well, I can tell you what I'll be up to - I will be harnessing and hooking up 16 Pretty Sled Dogs and heading for Nome!!! Yup, my entry went in today for my 10th running of the Iditarod. (It will likely be a few days before ITC gets my name up on the musher listing )

As much as I enjoyed last winter, sitting out Iditarod was still painful.



I admit it - my name is Karen Ramstead - and I am an Iditarod addict.

The bitter cold, the energy sapping wind, the chapped lips, the cracked fingers, the aching back, the bone hurting exhaustion.....none of that compares to....
 
... the Ceremonial Start in Anchorage....the 'go' moment in the chute at the ReStart. ..the hotdog stand on the way to Skwentna...the wild ride down the Happy River Steps...the challenging, technical trail from the Steps to Rainy Pass...the amazing trip over Rainy Pass...the oasis that is Rohn...Buffalo Camp...the sharp climb up the river bank into McGrath...the great views of Takotna as you run in...EVERYTHING about Takotna...sleeping in the straw with the dogs on the way to Cripple...dropping out of Ruby onto the Yukon River...all the fabulous volunteers that make this event happen...my fellow mushers...northern lights on the Yukon...beds in Galena...Old Woman Cabin...Peace On Earth Pizza in Unk...the great ride down the backside of the Blueberry Hills...arriving in Shaktoolik.....the great cliffs around Elim...caribou at the base of Little McKinley....the Topkok hills....the climb over Cape Nome and the view of Nome on the other side...and lattes in Nome!!!!

I can't wait to see what young dogs will come into their own on the journey - and of course, watch those tried and true veterans set the example and lead the way for the youngsters. 

I'll get to visit Orion, whose ashes were spread on the Yukon between Galena and Nulato - and Snickers, whose ashes were spread on the backside of Cape Nome.

Oh, I am such an Iditarod junkie - not an ounce of doubt!!!!



18 comments:

Andre & Natalie - Snowdrift Siberians said...

AWESOME!!!!!! Cannot wait to follow you and the NW kids on the Iditarod Trail once more....

Jenny Glen said...

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!

Kathleen said...

WOW! I do believe that's the best and briefest description of the trail I've ever heard. Your enthusiasm is dazzling! Can't wait to follow you!

Swanny said...

I'm please to hear you'll be coming back to run the I'rod again. I'm looking forward to seeing the pretty sled dogs - oh,, and you too.

Swanny and the Stardancers

Anonymous said...

CAN'T WAIT!!!!

granimar said...

I have 2 really great Iditarod memories---sitting on straw bales at Finger Lake and watching you and the team come clear around, seeing the surprise on your face as we said "Good morning", but best of all was watching you come into McGrath in 2008. Will be excited to follow you from home this race. Come on you NW fans get those sponsorships in, help NW get to Nome.

Louise Midkiff said...

I knew that. There was not a doubt in my mind this year. Never was. Not for one minute. You see, I am also addicted. Problem is, I go completely crazy during the last 1/3 of the race. Only a very few knew this until last March, and then it became public knowledge, because of the way the race ended. Now, well, let's just say it's an accepted fact.

D.K. Wall said...

We will be sitting here at the house, glued to the internet, watching the streaming video - and looking for my mother who is apparently plotting a trip to be in Anchorage cheering your start!

Huskymom said...

Know that second picture well, from 2008 restart, just after Willow Lake. See you again in March!

Joni said...

Your description left me breathless! Thanks for sharing your love with us.

Jane Eagle said...

bEAUTIFUL, kaREN! aS MUCH AS i LOVE iDITAROD, IT'S 10 TIMES MORE FUN TO FOLLOW WHEN YOU ARE IN IT!!

Anonymous said...

I will be in Anchorage, cheering on the NW team! Can't wait to see everyone!!

Anonymous said...

I'm late to the party, but WOOOHOOOO!
Can't wait!!!!
Tammy
Silver Spring

Toni said...

I am actually going to the start and the re-start this year. I am very excited to go to Alaska for the first time. I will be looking for you and cheering you on!!

Kalle said...

Yeahhhh, congratulation for signing your 10th Iditarod !!! Very cool and I hope at your 20th Iditarod we'll start togeter ;-))

huskydadx7 said...

Did you say Hotdog stand? I'm on my way with mustard and Ketchup

Karen Ramstead said...

They fix 'em however you like - delivered right to the sled!!! I usually pass the stand at about 10 or 11 pm and I'm generally STARVING by then. I'm not a fan of hot dogs, but these are the BEST!

Anonymous said...

OMG Karen, my laptop has been down again so I am just now getting to read this! It brought tears to my eyes. I would absolutely die to be there to cheer you on. I can't wait to see you through Iditatracker again. I can tell how unbelievably excited you are and it just gives me goosebumps thinking about your's & the curly tails journey!
THIS IS JUST SOOOOOOOOOO EXCITING!
Sitka's Mom Lisa