Friday 5 March 2010

What's Up With The Nyquil (the cartoonist)

On the eve of the start of the Iditarod, I've made some mention of swigging NyQuil on the mail list, blog comments, and Facebook posts. The typical response has been "hope you feel better soon" or people commiserating with me about their colds, but to be honest... I'm perfectly healthy.

Back when I first started cartooning for Karen and the Pretty Sled Dogs, I did have a cold and was swigging NyQuil, quite heavily as a matter of fact. Needless to say there were some pretty wacky cartoons coming out of me (some that will NEVER be seen by anyone... no, I don't accept bribes), and generally my first Iditarod watch when I actually KNEW someone running the Iditarod was pretty nonplus and somewhat relaxing (thanks to NyQuil).

The next year I didn't have a cold and frankly it was nothing but fingernail biting, nerve wracking, freaking out every moment of the day. I can't say that I'm the biggest worrier, I think that belongs to Karen's relatives, but I'm a pretty close second when it comes to freaking out and worrying.

I realize that this is the big race for Karen and the Pretty Sled Dogs. Its what they train for all year, live and breathe for all year, this is their moment to shine and enjoy themselves on the trail... I should celebrate and dance with joy that they are doing what they love. Except I'm a loon.

Like all of you, I constantly check the Iditarod page's updates for any news. As an "insider" I get some scoops, and as Karen and her Pretty Sled Dogs are my cartoon muse, I get to share my version of her updates with all of you, in a humorous light. I know a lot of you get concerned when there aren't any updates (like a certain year where Karen seemed to drop off the face of the earth and there was much gnashing of teeth and worrying).

With the various rules on the trail that limit her contact with the outside world, we insiders try to keep all of you informed and entertained and appreciate everyone's concern and rooting for her and her team, so please leave your comments on the updates we provide to boost her spirits and let her know that you are watching over her as she does this most amazing, brave, and wonderful sport.

She is doing something that keeps me in utter awe and admiration, and yet... well... I'll be spending most of the race like this:
NyQuil in hand, waiting on the next update, hitting refresh on my browser, and wishing I had enough guts to do what she's doing, but happy to have even the smallest part in helping in any way I can.

Good Luck and Godspeed Karen and the Pretty Sled Dogs!

5 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Here's to a pawesome Iditarod!

Of khourse, we'll be looking furward to the khlever khartoons too!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: Hi Kara!

Huskymom said...

Yep...checkpoint updates, comparison stats, tracker data, and new cartoons. Two weeks of March Madness, husky style. Go Pretty Sled Dogs!!

Nannette Morgan said...

Way to go Penny! Keep up the good work!

I hope Karen only provides you with funny inspiration on this trip1

Woofs,

Nannette

D.K. Wall said...

We are totally addicted to the race and understand how on edge you get, Penny.

Jane Eagle said...

Well said, Penny! That would be ditto for me (except the Nyquil and cartoons). Have a great time, Karen. Your silver harness team will watch over you.