Saturday 13 July 2013

Excuse me? - Bet

Peoples, peoples, peoples....

I've been around for a while, and I thought I have seen everything, but clearly I have not.

When I came to my home here at North Wapiti, I was told to expect the unexpected, and I'm fine with that, as long as nobodies touches my fashionable ensembles (that means you little miss Rocket).


I'm ok with cats that think they are Pumas, and Cricket who thinks she's a tank, and herding Pretty Curly Tails, and handlers coming and going and coming and going, and coming and going, and Musher Mark's snoring, and all of that... but this....

The Musher pronounced that she's going to ride the raggedy bra!

"Excuse me?"

"It's a bike ride across the state of Iowa and it's called the raggedy bra.  I'll have sag wagon following me", she says.

I stare at her... "seriously?"

"Yes", she says.  She even looks a bit miffed that my mouth is open and my eyes are a bit glazed. "Thousands of people do it every year, it's a big event with lots of events and parties and everyone has a great time!"

"Um, well, I guess they would have a great time with thousands of raggedy bra peoples riding across a whole state with saggy wagons following them."

"Ok", I ask her cautiously.  "Do you have one picked out?"

"One what?"  She asks impatiently.

"A raggedy bra, of course" (duh)  I fetch the one I think is most appropriate, because, seriously, if ever there was a raggedy bra, the one in her back drawer fits that bill.

"NO!!!! Not raggedy bra, it's RAGBRAI!  That stands for The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa!  The support people drive cars and their nickname is Sag Wagons!"

"Oh!  Well, that's a relief!  I guess that's not so crazy after all... never mind"

- Bet



No comments: