Saturday 26 January 2013

Eagle Cap Extreme The Finish - Bet

Howdy Ho Everybodies!

It's your roving Border Collie reporter, Bet, here!

I have to admit that I'm a bit under the weather... seems I caught a little stomach bug from some of the sled dogs around here... sigh.  I've been spending most of my time here


Don't worry, the Musher is taking care of me.

Anyhoooooo

As you may or may not know, the weather up in the mountain area took a turn for the worst and the race officials decided to cut the 200 mile race down to 150 miles.  The Eagle Cap Extreme race officials wisely made that decision to make sure the mushers and the dogs were safe, and we thank them for putting everyone first!

Snap developed a sore shoulder and got dropped, and Rocky... well, Rocky was having a bad day at the office and wanted to ride on the snowmachine, so he got dropped as well.

Of course this meant that we would have to stay up until the wee hours of the night to meet the team when they came in.  YAWWWN!


At least it was a beautiful night for waiting, very pretty!



So we waited, and waited, and waited ...

I took this picture
and waited and waited, waited some more, then...




Wahoooo!!!!  We saw the Musher's lights.

Of course Snap and Rocky got the scenic snowmachine taxi ride down, but the rest of the Pretty Curly Tails looked good.  They were a little upset that it was too warm and smooshy on the trail, but they did great!
 


After a bit of sleep, all of the Pretty Curly Tails got their breakfast.

Plans for the night were made



Unfortunately I didn't pack my suit... rats!


But then the "bug" hit me, so I probably wouldn't do very well in a tub of hot water... if you know what I mean.

We took it easy for the rest of the day, spending some couch quality time

Look on the bright side... you didn't catch your pants on fire
Which turned into a nap


and all is right in my world once again.

- Bet

2 comments:

Sandy Stealey in OH said...

Thanks for the report. Funny how exciting it was just looking at that moon then seeing the headlight. Hours following the Iditarod on the webcams at all hours have triggered that in me, I guess. You must have been thrilled to see the musher and pretty curly tails coming down the lane! Nice fire pic too.

D.K. Wall said...

Bet - Your hard work is rewarded with all of the proper sleeping spots.