Friday 4 January 2013

My Resolution

Let me start this by saying that I don't believe in 'Bucket Lists', 'Resolutions' or even really 'Goal Setting' (sorry Helen).

Had I done any of these exercises at various points in my life I think I would have limited myself and missed a lot of the memories and 'things' that are most special and dear to me.

I strive to seize the opportunities placed in front of me - and to participate and enjoy each one of them as fully as I can.

However, over the last few days I've just gotten rather tired of explaining this to people when they ask what resolutions I've made for the New Year. So I decided I needed to come up with a resolution ... or at least an 'answer' to 'the question'.

Now what to make my resolution???

I could resolve to lose those last 15 or so lbs I'd like to shed. Or to get my finances somewhat in order (Mark would like that). Or maybe run a sprint triathlon - that's been something I've wanted to do for awhile.

I did a long run and camp with the dog team yesterday, so I had some time to ponder this all and this is what I came up with (Mom, you might want to stop reading here)....

I resolve to perfect the art of trail nose blowing.

No, think about it. It is PROVEN FACT that your nose runs when being active outdoors. That is why any truly serious winter mittens when they aren't made of something soft have patches of something soft on the back of the hand. It's not so you can wipe a tear out of the corner of your eye while watching an amazing northern light display, it's to try to stop the giant flow of snot coming from your nose.

When noses run eventually there is more 'substantial matter' that accompanies it. Gross, but true. Hankies, tissues, and other delicate and polite options don't work very well in the great outdoors.
Really the best option is becoming proficient at 'projectile' nose blowing. Despite my many years spending time in the outdoors, I have not perfected this skill.

I have friends that are PROS at this and others that while not 'pros' are just plain good at it. I won't name names, as some of my outdoor companions like to portray themselves as 'proper' to the rest of the world, but I am jealous of their ability.

In my yoga class we have been working on some 'forceful breathing techniques'. I've been practicing them religiously hoping it will improve my trail nose blowing skills.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress ..... yeah..... not really....my Mom is probably already to kill me over this blog.

For the record, I'm also pretty bad at spitting - but I think I'll leave that resolution for next year. I don't want to take on too much in one time.


=) =) =)

Karen




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

and that is why we love you...good luck with that...

Huskymom said...

I have often wondered: Is there a low temperature at which the "flow" finally stops??

granimar said...

Since I'm not a musher, [just a radical fan]can't be of any help for the winter blowing---BUT, with my hay fever, I'm pretty darn good while I'm on the ride around mower while on the 3 or 4 acres I mow. Can't spit either.

Allie Marie said...

I can spit but haven't mastered the nose-blow. Good luck! Practice, practice, practice. If at first you don't succeed, try try again.

Anonymous said...

Snot something we needed to visualize.
Mary in Oregon