Friday 18 January 2013

The Countdown

A week from now we should be well into the Eagle Cap Extreme Trail (www.eaglecapextreme.com). Can't wait!!!

Tomorrow Helen (Who Smells Like Cookies) and former NW Handler Simone arrive. Helen is arriving from Maine, Simone from Switzerland! Both of them are heading off to Oregon with me. Cannot wait to see these amazing ladies again.

The team is shaping up nicely. I have 11 of the 12 dogs for the team selected. I think folks will be surprised by a number of my choices but I am very keen on this group of dogs.

We headed up to Edson again yesterday hoping to get another 2 good sled runs in. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate.

We braved some nasty road conditions and arrived at Markus and Allison's around noon (after a stop at Timmie's, of course).

A bit of fresh snow made the trails 'do-able' and we managed to get a nice run in despite some downed trees and temperatures that went up to +8C - but it was apparent that running the next day was going to be very unlikely.

We took advantage of Markus and Allison's kind hospitality and stayed for dinner, but headed back to Perryvale right afterwards.

The run did allow me a good look at my 4 contenders for that last team spot. I'm closer to a decision, but not there yet!

I'm not going to say who the whole team is yet, but I will say the 4 vying for that last spot are Snap, Kelly, Billie and Bang.  Really, they are all good dogs and any choice will be a good one!

Off to get a good ATV run in from the kennel today, but here are some photos of our adventure yesterday!

Hope you enjoy - we did!!!!












Fresh cougar tracks on the trail!










3 comments:

Marie Elks said...

I can only imagine how difficult it must be to select from so many wonderful dogs the 12 or 14 or 16 to go. Best of luck!

Unknown said...

The team is really looking good!
Hope the race trail is super and that you have fun and do well.
Diana miller

Unknown said...

The team is really looking good!
Hope the race trail is super and that you have fun and do well.
Diana miller