Monday 19 January 2009

Heading to the Hills

So, as I've mentioned conditions here in Alaska are HORRIBLE. They have not improved even alittle in the last few days.
I liken this to the weather in 2003, which is the year they actually had to move the start of Iditarod to Fairbanks - except this may be worse, as the warm temperatures and rain seem to be more widespread. Reports from Whitehorse, Fairbanks, the Kenai, Lake Louise and even to some extent - home, are poor.
Last night I was awake most of the night tossing, turning and fretting.

I will sleep better tonight though, as it seems we have found snow!!

Zack Steer from Sheep Mountain Lodge (yup, where I was supposed to race back in December) tells me they have had alot of new snow in the past couple days. They are actually working hard to keep the trails in and groomed as additional snow continues to fall.
I wasted no time booking a room for tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday. Then we will head back to Willow for the weekend to give the dogs and our wallet a break - leaving the trails to the snowmachiners for the weekend.

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders and can't wait to get out on the trails. I've been smiling all afternoon.

Now, of course, renting a cabin for 3 or 4 days a week is a very quick way to burn through money - even with Zack's gracious weekday musher rate -so we are still crossing our figures for some more seasonal Alaska weather VERY soon.

Snow dances are needed!!!

Karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All southern Siberians in my house are doing their very best snow-dance for you!