Thursday 26 March 2009

What's Under Your Bed???

I'm sure I've mentioned a time or two in my journals and blogs that our house is pretty small. Honestly, it doesn't bother me much at all, except for the size of the bedrooms. Both are tiny and our fits only our queen sized and a nightstand - seriously. The way we positioned the bed, Mark has to climb over me to get in and out of bed, as I'm usually the last to bed and the first up in the morning, but when he works days and gets up at 4:20am, I get woken up too.

So the other day I got decided we needed to turn the bed. It's tight, but it'll work.

So, we began cleaning out the bedroom and the stuff under the bed to facilitate the move. The usual dust rabbits (these were way to big to be 'bunnies') missing socks and such were there but I also have something under the bed that most don't - dead dogs. No, no - not carcasses or anything - but the cremated remains of many of our dogs reside under my bed.

All the boxes were carefully removed with Mark demanding to know which dogs I was carrying out of the room on each trip. It turns out there are 12 dogs hanging out under there - Fly, Surge, Spud, Squeaky, Libby, Breezy, Howl, Buddy, Charlie, Butch, Striker and Chester, as well as the tin boxes that once held Orion and Snicker's ashes. Snickers ashes were spread on Cape Nome and Orion's on the Yukon River outside of Galena.

When ashes and memories were all carefully removed, we took the bed apart, I vacuumed, we moved the bed and remade it.

The last step before going to sleep in our 'new room' was to dust off the boxes and tuck them all safely back under the bed.

Some may think it is a tad morbid, but I can think of no souls better to share my dreams with.

Karen

7 comments:

Peg H said...

What a perfect 'resting' place for your beloved dogs. In fact it brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing it.

Shmoo said...

I'm not cartooning that, no way :)

Shmoo

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

WOW!

Mark this one down on your list of akhkhomplishments in life: Something Meeshka's Human Woman WON'T khartoon!

That probably is a furst!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

ElizabethMC said...

I can think of no place better for my beloved babies. So how many missing socks were actually found? Want to do mine next???

Lauri said...

We've always buried the dogs in the backyard. But in my dresser is Red's collar. I was 16 and away on a school trip, and it was just the most painful. I ran in to the house to use, um, the facilities while my parents left the dogs in. My Dad and Dandy were sitting in the family room and I went to look in the other half to look for him then turned to my Mom and asked if he was in the laundry room with her. And no he was neither place having died three days earlier while my parents were waiting to hear if my group and gone through the snowstorm safely. I took his collar and kept it next to my bed for years. It still is, but in a drawer.

Anonymous said...

We keep the ashes of beloved dogs on the top shelf of my favourite bookcase in our living room. That way, I can glance up at them at any moment.

Our close friends know who is in the collection of boxes. Visitors don't.

Kristy said...

We have our beloved Alaskan Malamute,Tess and Blackie our adopted mutt on a shelf in the livingroom. I talk to them often. We have two new Mals with us today. Maria even works as my Service dog. Not a usual job for a Mal. I can definitely see them resting under my bed too. They are family. Thanks for sharing.