Sunday 8 November 2009

I Love Old Houses...

...I mean 'really' old houses ... and old barns ... and old sheds.

I wish we had an old homestead on our property. Apparently we used to have a couple. The biggest being next to an old shingle mill not far from our house, but a fire through the valley about 25 - 30 years ago destroyed all the remains - including the old heirloom pansies that bloomed near the house site. So sad!!

Since I don't have 'one of my own', I love looking at old homesteads that we pass on our runs. I imagine what they looked like in their 'heyday' and think about all the changes they have seen in their time. I especially love passing them near the holidays and thinking what the celebrations of those residents might have been like.
I know - hokey - but I spend alot of hours puttering around the neighborhood at speeds under 10 mph.

This old homestead is one of my favorites...



It is right at one of my early season turnaround spots, so I've looked at it alot and even roamed around in it a few times.

A month or so ago I noticed the landowners had cleared some more field around it and even take down the old barn.



Today I see they have cleared all the trees that used to surround the old farmhouse. I hope not, but I fear it's days are numbered.

I'll mourn it's passing - and the passing of all the history it will take with it.

Karen

5 comments:

granimar said...

Our valley is full [or was full] of old homesteads. Montana's history is fairly new, so 1893 would be a time of settlement. I just cringe when the old places disappear. We have a business here in the valley that buys old buildings, then disassembles them, stacks the wood pieces and charges a fortune to "new" people that can afford to have a new building built out of old boards. The history disappears. It makes me cry often. I know how you feel as the history disappears.

Andi Louise said...

I see many around here too. Being in the south, I often think what hardships they may have faced during the Civil War. If only walls could talk.

ElizabethMC said...

I like looking at homesteads and old barns and farm houses as well - esp windmills. Don't see many of those anymore either. Very nice shots - esp the one with the partial snow....gosh I wish it would snow....Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I often imagine what the people were like who lived in those old places, and what kind of activity surrounded them. With your team you can travel to out of the way places - how nice.

dogsled_stacie said...

Oh yay, other people who LOVE seeing old, dilapidated cabins - thanks for sharing Karen! I think I love them for the same reason, the history... going back in time, it's fascinating.