Saturday 3 July 2010

Cranberry Date Loaf

In my last blog entry I mentioned having a loaf of Cranberry Date bread in the oven after my run and had a few folks ask me for a recipe, so I figured that the easiest way to share it was through the blog!!
First off I'm going to back up a bit and explain why I was baking with dates. It's Richard fault. Now I don't even know if Richard likes dates (he probably does, I didn't meet many foods he didn't like this winter) but I can still twist this around and blame it on him. See he got us hooked on parsnips and leeks while he was here. Who knew how good they were??? Certainly not me!  It got me wondering what else I'm missing out on - especially in the produce section, so I've been trying to be a bit more adventurous when grocery shopping. (See, Richard's fault).

Earlier in the week I brought home a package of dates. I munched on a few right out of the package and must admit that they are pretty good - they do however look an awful lot like the beetles that I find all over our driveway at this time of year. Disturbingly so. So I figured they might work better for me chopped up and 'in' something. This is what I found (tweaked a bit) -


Cranberry Date Loaf

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup cut up dates
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dried cranberries (the recipe actually called for dried cherries, but I like dried cranberries better)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 eggs, beaten

In a large bowl combine butter, dates and baking soda. Pour boiling water over top, stir. Add vanilla.

In a second bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, Stir. Add cranberries and nuts. Stir.

Add beaten eggs to to date mixture. Stir. Add flour/cranberry mixture. Stir only to moisten. Spoon into greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Trust me, it does not look like it has bugs in it!! =)

I also stumbled across this cookie recipe that was interesting and yummy sounding - even though I'm not generally a cookie baker.
It's kind of a soft, granola-ish type cookie - but very filling and yummy!!

Breakfast Cookies

 2 eggs
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped dates
1 cup flour
1 cup oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cups Cheerios

Mix together eggs, honey and butter until well blended. Stir in carrots, nuts and fruit.
In another bowl mix together dry ingredients. Add flour mix and cereal to fruit mix and stir until well blended. Shape dough into balls about 2 tbsps in size. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly.
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.




Hope you all enjoy - and if you don't - blame Richard!! =)

Karen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I googled "date cranberry loaf" this afternoon, as that was what I had left after all the Christmas baking- came across your recipe, and made it. I bumped up the cranberries, dates and walnuts (mainly by not measuring and just eye-balling), and it has come out delicious! A big thank you from snowy Switzerland!