Saturday 13 November 2010

Working the Night Shift

Last night was a 'Night Shift' at the kennel. We  hooked dogs up at 4 pm...



...ran over to one of our favorite campgrounds...


...camped for alittle over three hours...


Simone, Kalles (who is visiting the kennel from Germany) and Mark around the campfire.
Kalles 'appetizer' - pepperoni stick on a bun!
The main course. Roasting weenies is mandatory at a campfire - isn't it??

Simone about to devour a SMORE for dessert


...and ran home...




It was a great night!! No photos, but Kalles and I spotted the International Space Station (I was pretty confident it was and confirmed it on http://www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/region.cgi?country=Canada&region=Alberta this morning) and watched a short, but nice display of Northern Lights. Mark and Simone missed both those things - don't know what they were doing, but obviously not looking at the sky!!

We also saw a lot of wildlife - moose (Kalles and I flushed a big cow and calf out in front of the team. Meg and See are probably still telling everyone in the yard about it!!), deer and a bunch of other eyes that we could not see well enough to figure out what was behind them!

And the dogs??? They did so well that the blog didn't have to be about them and their bad behaviour at the campground (that is honestly what I expected to be writing about this morning). I am very proud and pleased with them all. Not one chewed line or eaten harness!!! They acted like real professionals!! Granted, Jack wasn't in this group! Next time!

My 'white sistas' front end - Meg and See in lead, Bingo and Bang in swing!!

6 comments:

BADASmusher said...

so cool. I can't wait to be to the point of being confident in my dogs enough to run them in the dark where the lead dogs are visible....

BADASmusher said...

meant are NOT visible....

Karen Ramstead said...

April,

I can see my lead dogs, it is just the flash that makes it seem like I can't.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Looks like a good time was had by all!

Bonnie said...

Your campout are more fun than ours....we just sleep in the snow until 4 hours is up and then get up and go back again.....:) but the dogs are settling into this new routine...It is interesting going from being a handler (well, I still handle...but now it is a vested interest) from being the team owner...Bonnie

Bonnie said...

smores for this weekend....:) I think that may be a new rule for camping !!!!