Saturday 31 March 2012

The Trip Home - Bet

Ok everybodies, I need some help here.

As you know, the herdy bunnies flew the coop and now I'm left with absolutely nobody with any sort of math skills in the house. 

I'm trying to figure out how long its going to take the Team North Wapiti to get home!

Here's the map


Its 1,390 miles from Willow to home.

I asked Musher Mark.  He said that with a good pit crew they could make it in about 8 hours if they used the car ahead of them to draft and then slingshot into the straightaway for the finish.

Um... what?

So then I went into the dog yard and asked the Pretty Curly Tails.  They all thought that if the conditions were good, it was very cold, and there was salmon goodies in the snack bags, it should take them a little over three weeks, but that would depend on dropped dogs.

Ugh!

I asked Cricket, but she's not talking to me after the Pyr-joring thing.

Tic is still hanging off the roof, something about the ladder being missing (its not really "missing", its being used as part of the Pretty Curly Tail Ferris Wheel they set up, but hey, whatever).

Bait said that as a cat that has sprawled on many nice cars, the dog truck was not as nice to lay on.

See what I have to work with here?????

I figured that it would take about 39 hours, plus Pretty Curly Tail pitstops, plus Musher and Richard pitstops, multiplied by the amount of coffee shops on the route, divided by the square root of ... wait a minute... roots aren't square!

I have no idea when they'll be home.  I was hoping to plan it so that I could have a nice souffle waiting and be wearing my best collar for their homecoming.


woe is me!

- Bet

12 comments:

Steve said...

Have you asked Wayward? Is he still re-calculating?

Mary Papik said...

Bet - the answer is easy. How long did it take them to get there?

blackdeer said...

Hi Bet:

I can't see exactly where "home" is on your map, so I searched Willow to Edmonton in Google Maps. The drive time is, apparently, about 42 hours (1 day, plus 18 hours). Pushing the speed limit would bring down the time by a few hours, but you would have to add time for dog and human pee and snack breaks, plus rest breaks if applicable (Musher Karen is accustomed to running on little sleep). Ergo, you're probably looking at 48 hours-ish. Here's the map with the time/mileage:
http://g.co/maps/8zbjw

Margaret in Ontario

Deb R. said...

Put a big #24 on the dog truck and Mark will find it fast enough, I guarantee it!! :-D

Susan said...

Well Bet, part of that trip is at least 200 miles of crappy road in AK, due to many things. That alone will take a while. I'll bet you could have that collar waiting and when you hear the truck and all the barking you can slip it on and be ready.

In the meantime, take yourself a nice bubble bath (or mud, whichever you prefer), eat some waffles, and enjoy the peace of being Trampless. You know once she gets back you'll have to hear her entire story of the past three months...

thecrazysheeplady said...

Aw, let's leave poor Wayward out of this ;-).

swordwhale said...

Wayward lives....bwa ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

The Return of the Wayward...
Wayward Strikes Back...
the Wayward Menace...

it could be a series.

Unknown said...

Bet, Google Maps is telling me 1900-ish instead of 1319. They calculate 1 day, 18 hours (~42 hours) of travel time.
I agree with the advice you got on the Facebooks- just listen for Tramp :)

Anonymous said...

After your bath, and waffles, bake cookies - not souffle. They'll be ready no matter what time they arrive, and if you feel peckish while waiting ... (they'll never know how many they missed)!

Louise Midkiff said...

Driving 8 to 10 hours per day, figure about 3 to 4 days. If they both drive cut it down to 2 or 3 days. I'd still, counting pit stops, count on four days.

Then listen for Tramp.

Louise Midkiff said...

You're gonna do a Happy Dance, aren't you. Oh, dear!!

Unknown said...

I heart the Cartoonist!

Janet - Sheba's Mom